Developing Strategies for the Province of Alberta
by www.canadastar.com Chief Editor Mr.F. Jiang 2015.2.24
Alberta is a very important province in Canada, there are 661,848 km2 of land (Canada # 4), over 4 million people (2014, Canada # 4), Canadian's GDP US $ 1,794 Billion (2014, 11 in the world), Alberta's GDP is C $ 338 billion (2013, Canada # 3); Alberta is least debt province in Canada (C $ 3,161 / resident).
There are two important cities, Calgary (MCA # 4 in Canada, activities in the energy, financial services, Education, and Medical services) and Edmonton (MCA # 5 in Canada, activities in the energy, financial services, shopping mall, the cultural , governmental and educational centre); rich in natural resources (crude oil, natural gas, oil sands, and agriculture), and tourist attractions (the Rocky Mountains, Banff, Royal Tyrrell Museum - dinosaurs, Royal Alberta Museum, The Art Gallery of Calgary , and West Edmonton Mall).
Between 2003 and 2013, Alberta's exports rose 73% ($ 112 billion in 2013). The industries that recorded the highest economic growth are the oil sands, agriculture, construction, machinery, fabricated metals, retail and wholesale trade, financial services, and professional, scientific and technical services.
1 Now, the Alberta Government is concerning for the following:
(1) In one to three years, oil price may be in the low-middle level. (There are many oil producers: OPEC, US, Russia, Canada, and other oil producers).
(2) Unemployment will be high and there will be a downturn in the housing sector if the oil price stays in the lower level.
(3) With an increasing aging population, social welfare and medical expenses will continue to increase.
(4) Every year with investments in research and innovation, many new innovations are developed, but rarely form successful high-tech companies. Return on investment is very low.
2 My Strategies for the Alberta Government
(1). Support energy industry competition in the low-middle oil price market.
- Talk with oil-gas companies and workers; reduce hour salary with no big job cutting.
- Increase venture capital fund to the oil-gas and oil-gas chemical industry(shares of new enterprises).
(2). Increase venture capital fund to support research and innovation(shares of new enterprises):
- Bio-health (Diagnostic kit, Antibiotics, Vaccines, Elderly nutrition, Exercise…). (I can help)
- IT, mobile and internet service.
- Environment Protection.
(3). Increase investment in the tourism Industry (I can help)
- Increase motel sites in tourist area (for summer tourists –Canada, US, China).
- Build a private Antique-Art Centre in three years and attract tourists from US, China, UK and Canada (for summer and winter tourists).
(4). Increase investment in the senior centre (I can help)
- If the private Antique-Art Centre is succeed, I will co-operate with City and School Board to build a senior service centre which can attract senior families to settle around, giving the seniors both a better life and worry-free finances. If this model is successful, it will benefit for the health and pension system in Canada and developed countries to reduce the pressure of increasing senior population.
Together, with other strategies from Alberta government, Alberta will balance budget, balance economic development and have a great future.